Dr. Aisha N. Lowe serves as the Deputy Director of STAND UP, an education non-profit dedicated to ensuring every child has the opportunity to attend an excellent public school. STAND UP was launched on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 2006. In 2009, STAND UP became a featured initiative of new Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson. Since then, STAND UP has embarked on an ambitious agenda to reform failing public schools in the Sacramento region.
STAND UP focuses on five priority areas:
- HUMAN CAPITAL: Improve teacher and principal quality
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Enhance transparency around school performance and quality
- SCHOOL CHOICE: Increase the range of school options available to parents and students
- PARENT ENGAGEMENT: Equip parents with the tools to advocate for their children’s success
- EFFECTIVE POLICY: Promote local, state and national reforms that catalyze systemic change
Prior to joining STAND UP, Dr. Lowe served as the Director of Research for the California Charter Schools Association. Aisha is also a former K-12 teacher and adjunct faculty member. Dr. Lowe received her Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, M.A. in Sociology, and Ph.D. in Education from Stanford University.